Protection of your personal data
EURAXESS UK is a part of the European EURAXESS network – a joint initiative of the European Commission and countries participating in the EU Research and Innovation Framework Porgrammes.
The British Council is the EURAXESS National Bridgehead Organisation (Coordinator) for the UK network and is the editor and publisher of the EURAXESS UK website. EURAXESS UK is funded by the UK Government’s Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.
The British Council applies the UK Data Protection Act 2018 as a global privacy standard together with local data protection law in the countries where it operates. In countries where the UK Data Protection Act 2018 conflicts with local law, local law that meets internationally accepted privacy principles will take precedence.
The British Council is committed to:
- performing privacy impact assessments to protect the privacy and rights and freedoms of its customers and employees
- protecting the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the information it collects, stores, transfers and processes in accordance with UK law and international good practice, and to meeting its legal requirements and contractual obligations
- explaining why it needs personal information, only asking for the personal information it needs and only sharing personal information within the British Council and with other organisations as necessary or where the person concerned has given their consent
- clearly and openly communicating to its customers and employees the purposes for processing their personal information, including the legal bases for processing and limiting the purposes to only what has been communicated or where there is a legal obligation
- allowing people to request access to the personal information it holds on them and to complain if they believe their information has been mishandled
- not keeping personal information for longer than necessary
- taking measures to protect the rights and freedoms of individuals whose personal information may be transferred to countries with differing data protection laws
- ensuring that actual or suspected breaches of information security are reported and investigated
- assessing the maturity of its information security controls annually
- applying these standards to its supply chain and delivery partners.
We will provide adequate and appropriate resources to implement this policy and will ensure it is communicated and understood.
The British Council will review this global policy statement annually to reflect new legal and regulatory developments and ensure good practice.
This global policy statement was approved by Sir Ciarán Devane, Chief Executive, in November 2020 and is due for review in March 2021.
Exercising your rights concerning the processing of your personal information
When exercising your rights, you must give us a request in writing, by post or by email. Although you should submit a request in writing, if you would like to speak to someone in person, you may contact us by telephone.
Information Governance Advisor (Disclosures)
58 Whitworth Street
Phone: +44(0) 161 957 7624
Personal data that you provide to EURAXESS Centres located at other organisations, listed in the CONTACT US section, are collected and processed in accordance to the rules stipulated by those organisations.
User's account in the EURAXESS database
The personal information provided when registering a user profile in the EURAXESS database (collecting jobs, funding and partnering opportunities) is collected and processed by the European Commission (Directorate-General for Research and Innovation, Unit G.2). Please refer to the European Commission Privacy Statement.
You can always delete any personal data from the database. To do so, log in to your account and select My Euraxess; then click on User profile to update/remove personal information or to delete your Euraxess account.