Recognition of qualifications

Working in Europe | Recognition of diplomas | United Kingdom

Most countries operate a unique educational system and have specific professional bodies offering accreditations. Getting your qualifications formally recognised will help you find both study and work roles whilst in the UK.

Why get your qualifications recognised?

Once your professional qualifications have been recognised, you will be able to access the profession and practise it on the same terms as nationals of, and those who qualified in that country. If your qualifications are not verified, completing research and studies in many areas will not be possible.

If you are planning to come to the UK to continue academic studies or work, it is important you think about your existing qualifications to ensure you can demonstrate relevant skills and knowledge to prospective employers or educational institutions. It is important to always try to contextualise your existing qualifications, ensuring that you try to explain the grading system in your home country to offer a benchmark of comparison.

How to get started

There has been an increased drive to ease the recognition of qualifications across Europe. This has helped to foster new international relationships and encourage a transfer of skills and knowledge in Europe.

Diploma Supplement

The diploma supplement outlines key information, such as institution details, module content, and offer comparison to the national equivalent qualifications. This can be requested from the university or institution at which you studied. Find out more


UK NARIC is designated to assist in the process of recognition and comparison of international qualifications and skills. It performs this official function on behalf of the UK Government, but please note that some of their services are provided for a fee. Learn more.

When should I start?

It is advised to start gathering formal documentation and proof of your qualification before you arrive in the UK. Contact your educational institutions and any professional bodies to receive your official qualifications.

Be aware of timescales – requesting your qualifications may take time. In other cases, you may also need to allow enough time to prepare documentation before travelling.