ORGANISATION/COMPANYBARCELONA SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER
RESEARCH FIELDEnvironmental science › Earth science
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/04/2020 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Barcelona
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/04/2020
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
Within the Copernicus Climate Climate Change Service (C3S), the Evaluation and Quality Control (EQC) function plays a critical role to ensure that the service meets the needs of a range of users for high-quality data and information, and in proposing the necessary evolution of the service itself, while shaping the research agenda to attend the most important challenges detected. The Earth Sciences Department of the BSC will be in charge of developing and implementing a system to evaluate the quality of the operational data from the C3S, as well as the quality of the toolbox and the whole service. The successful applicant will join the BSC Computational Earth Sciences group to support the technical tasks related to the C3S_512 project.
- Maintenance of software infrastructure and documentation, monitoring resources and test and deployment of new developments.
- Interact with computational earth sciences scientists to improve the performance and the reliability of the systems deployed.
- Assessing the quality and the maturity of software tools, as defined by the internal framework.
We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures.
- Duration: Temporary - 1 year renewable
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
All applications must include:
- A Cover Letter with a statement of interest in English, including two contacts for further references - Applications without this document will not be considered
- A full CV in English including contact details
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: ExcellentSPANISH: Excellent
- Master degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or Physics
Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Excellent development skills scripting languages (bash, python,…)
and experience with UNIX/LINUX environments. (2 years or more of
- Experience of version control in a distributed team, including SVN or Git. (1 year or more of experience).
- Keen to engineer processes to maintain software infrastructure, to
monitor resources and to deploy and debug the code development
Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Knowledge of climate data formats (GRIB, NetCDF) and data manipulation tools will be valued.
- Knowledge of the Drupal content management framework will be valued.
- Task automation, downloading tools and data processing frameworks will be valued
- Capacity to interact and build strong relations with both earth and computer scientists.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to learn and adapt to multiple programming languages easily.
- Fluency in English, both speaking and writing.
EURAXESS offer ID: 490135
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.