ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Chemistry and Technology, Prague
RESEARCH FIELDAgricultural sciencesBiological sciencesChemistry › Analytical chemistry
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE27/03/2017 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONCzech Republic › Prague
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER720325
University of Chemistry and Technology, Prague (UCT Prague) is offering a unique opportunity for an Early Stage Researcher to undertake research in the framework of the project “Smart phone analyzers for on-site testing of food quality and safety (FoodSmartphone)”. The Early Stage Researcher will be funded for 3 years by the prestigious Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions Innovative European Training Network (MCSA-ITN-ETN-2016) programme. The successful candidate will be offered the opportunity to enrol on the following PhD programme: Enzymatic FoodSmartphone assays for AChE inhibitors (ESR 6). He/she will be an active member of a research project team assisting in the delivery of research and training activities within a specified project scope aimed to meet overall FoodSmartphone research objectives and submit a thesis in fulfilment of the requirements of a PhD degree.
- Enrol in a PhD by research programme according to the UCT Prague rules and carry out the research and training activities specified by a career development plan (CDP).
- Conduct specific research in the following topical area: 1. Development and evaluation of test strips with immobilised enzymes aiming for short assay times and fit-for-purpose sensitivity. 2. Development of a paper-based microfluidics system for integrated sample handling in the strip assay. 3. Critical comparison of the final assay with GC/MS and LC/MS reference methods. 4. Development of GC/MS and LC/MS reference methods for target analytes studied by other consortium members in order to allow benchmarking of the developed smartphone assays.
- Undertake research that involves the critical evaluation, analysis and interpretation and presentation of the obtained results in consultation with the assigned supervisory team.
- Undertake mandatory industrial placements and other activities focused on scientific and transferrable skills at European partners involved in the project as necessary to complete the project.
- Actively participate in the PhD training activities.
- Participate in outreach and dissemination activities promoting the FoodSmartphone project and the Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) programme including the use of social media, video-diaries, newsletters, etc.
- Prepare regular progress reports on the performed research and training activities and present the research outcomes at bi-monthly meetings, at annual project workshops, and to external audiences to disseminate and publicise research findings.
- Work closely with industrial and other partners as collaborators and to facilitate knowledge transfer between UCT Prague and other partners in the FoodSmartphone project.
- As a MSCA ETN Ambassador carry out undergraduate supervision/demonstrating/teaching duties under supervisor direction and according to the university regulations.
- Study and follow the technical literature including academic papers, journals and textbooks to keep abreast with the state-of-the-art in the project topical area.
- Record, analyse and write up results of research work and contribute to the production of research reports and publications.
- Carry out routine administrative duties as requested, e.g. arranging research programme group meetings, maintaining research programme group website, contributing to organisation of the programme group training events.
MSCA-ITN offers an attractive salary and working conditions. A unique feature of MSCA-ITN is that during the PhD research, ESR PhD students will be given the opportunity to perform secondments at the facilities of other consortium members. ESR PhD students will benefit from a dedicated training program in the various fields of expertise of the consortium partners.
Salary is complemented with a mobility allowance. For more information on MSCA-ITN, visit http://ec.europa.eu/research/mariecurieactions/index_en.htm
The successful applicant must meet the MSCA-ITN eligibility criteria (for further information, please refer to information contained within the Project Description area above)
For more information regarding this position please contact Prof Dr. Jana Hajslova; firstname.lastname@example.org or at (+420)220 443 185.
Please submit your motivation letter with CV by e-mail to email@example.com (this is the only correct way to apply) before March 27, 2017. Any applications reaching us, in any other way are not taken into consideration.
Web site for additional job details
Required Research Experiences
RESEARCH FIELDChemistry › Analytical chemistry
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELChemistry: Master Degree or equivalentAgricultural sciences: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
Demonstrable experience of application of chromatographic methods coupled with mass spectrometry.
Demonstrable experience of residue analysis.
Demonstrable experience of sample preparation, separation and purification techniques relevant to analyses of compounds in biological and food matrices.
Demonstrable understanding of enzyme-based assays, principles and application.
Demonstrable experience of analytical methods validation including assessment of bioassays performance characteristics.
Ability to act effectively as a laboratory demonstrator.
Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
Ability to logically conceptualise and summarise the research findings.
Excellent verbal and writing communication skills.
Ability to interact with colleagues and staff.
Ability to organise resources, manage time and meet deadlines.
Evidence of strong interest in working in a dynamic research environment, and a strong motivation to succeed within a competitive research field.
Be eligible and qualified for enrolment in the PhD programme at UCT Prague.
Be willing and able to conduct mandatory secondments in other organisations throughout Europe for defined periods.
Be willing to travel to programme meetings and present at conferences.
MSCA-ITN eligibility criteria
There are strict eligibility requirements for the ESR PhD positions in MSCA-ITN. Please ensure that you qualify before applying, as ineligible candidates cannot be considered.
- Applicants should not have resided or performed their main activity (work, studies, etc) in the country of the host institution for more than 12 months in the 3 year period immediately prior to the start date of the PhD research.
- Applicants for the ESR PhD positions should be in the first 4 years (full-time equivalent) of their research careers and not yet have been awarded a doctorate. This 4 year period is measured from the date of obtaining the degree which would formally entitle to embark on a doctorate.
EURAXESS offer ID: 179943