Scientific visa

Living in Europe, Working in Europe | Entry conditions/visas, Work permit | United Kingdom

The scientific visa is not recognised by UK Visas & Immigration. The scientific visa package helps researchers to obtain permission to enter, stay and work in the European Union Member States for the purpose of carrying out scientific research.

Visas for short visits to the UK

If you are planning to give lectures or be an examiner for a fee, attend a meeting, conference or workshop, do site visits, negotiate deals or sign contracts, or complete research or a short study course you may be eligible for a Standard Visitor visa. You can usually stay for up to 6 months. If you are an academic researcher, and meet the eligibility criteria, you and your spouse or partner, or children may be able to stay in the UK for 12 months.

If you are taking a sabbatical from an academic institution outside the UK then you may also be eligible to stay for up to 12 months on an academic visitor visa. This is for private research only (such as for a book), for taking part in a formal exchange, to share knowledge and experiences, or attend meetings and conferences. It is not for undertaking a formal research project or collaboration involving experimental work.

Further details are available on the UK Visas and Immigration's (UKVI) website.