ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Bergen
RESEARCH FIELDMathematics › Applied mathematics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE29/03/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Bergen
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
There is a vacancy for a PhD Research Fellow in modelling of flow and deformation in faulted porous media at the Department of Mathematics. The position is part of the recently established VISTA Center for Modeling of Coupled Subsurface Dynamics (VISTA CSD, https://www.uib.no/en/vista-csd). VISTA is a basic research programme financed by the Equinor and executed in close cooperation with The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters.
The center will involve approximately 40 people, including faculty, researchers, postdocs and PhD students. MSc students will also be integrated in center activities.
The position is for a fixed-term period of 3 years with the possibility of a 4th year with compulsory other work (e.g. teaching duties at the Department.) It is one out of three PhD positions in VISTA CSD currently announced.
About the project/work tasks
Production of hydrocarbons and geothermal energy, extraction of groundwater, subsurface energy storage, CO2 sequestration and wastewater disposal all involve massive subsurface extraction and/or injection of fluids. This affects the thermal, hydraulic, mechanical and chemical (THMC) state at depth, resulting in strongly coupled THMC processes. In recent years, the surface manifestations fluid injection and production have become increasingly apparent.
To improve engineering operations and avoid unacceptable environmental impact, there is a need to understand how fluid injection and extraction effects the mechanics of the geological formation to cause deformation of porous rocks as well as slip, opening and propagation of fractures and faults. These processes can be studied by a combination of data analysis and mathematical modeling and simulation.
VISTA CSD’s primary objective is to develop fundamental knowledge and educate next generation researchers to understand how subsurface fluid injection and extraction results in deformation, fault reactivation and fracturing. The center thus targets critical and fundamental research questions through mathematical and numerical modeling and data analysis.
The PhD student will contribute to a project at VISTA CSD which has as its ultimate aim to develop mathematical models and solution approaches to rupture dynamics including advanced friction laws in the presence of fluids. The work will involve a combination of development, implementation and analysis of mathematical models and numerical solution approaches for solving mixed dimensional coupled flow and mechanics equations. A software package based on finite elements will be used.
- a good and professionally stimulating working environment
- salary at pay grade 54 (Code 1017/Pay range 20, alternative 10) in the state salary scale. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 482 200. Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position.
- enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- good welfare benefits
- a brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- the names and contact information for two referees. One of these should be the main advisor for the master's thesis or equivalent thesis
- Transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor's and master's degrees. If you have not yet completed your master's degree, please submit a statement from your institution confirming the expected date of award of your master's degree. Your master's degree must be documented with transcripts and/or diploma, alternatively a confirmation from your institution on the completed degree and your grade, by 30.06.2021.
- relevant certificates/references
- approved documentation of proficiency in English (cf. English language requirements for PhD admission)
- a list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- any publications in your name
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.
Further information about the employment process can be found here.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELMathematics: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Applicants must hold a master's degree or equivalent education in applied mathematics. Master students can apply provided they complete their final master exam before 30 June 2021. It is a condition of employment that the master's degree has been awarded.
- Experience in discretization methods for partial differential equations and good programming skills is a requirement.
- Expertise on simulation of flow in porous media, finite element methods, numerical analysis or computational mechanics is an advantage.
- Applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner and demonstrate good collaborative skills.
- Applicants must be proficient in both written and oral English.
Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized. Ambitions and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.
About the PhD Research Fellow
The fellowship will be for a period of 3 years, with the possibility for a 4th year, consisting of 25 % compulsory work (e.g. teaching responsibilities at the department) distributed over the employment period. The 4th year is contingent on the qualifications of the candidate and the teaching needs of the department and will be decided by the head of department upon appointment.
The employment period may be reduced if you have previously been employed in a qualifying post (e.g. research fellow, research assistant).
About the research training
As a PhD Research Fellow, you must participate in an approved educational programme for a PhD degree within a period of 3 years. The deadline for applying for admission to the PhD programme at The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences is 2 months after you start your position or after the start of the research project that will lead to the PhD degree. It is a condition that you satisfy the enrolment requirements for the PhD programme at the University of Bergen.
EURAXESS offer ID: 609837
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.